As your landlord, we have a legal duty to carry out an annual safety check and service on gas appliances in your home.
This helps to make sure that appliances are safe for you and your family. We will also check that appliances are working efficiently, which can help to reduce your fuel bills.
Why does my home need a gas safety check and service?
Most importantly, the safety check and service will help to keep you safe.
Every year more than 30 people are killed because of faulty gas fires or appliances in the home. You can’t see, smell or taste carbon monoxide but it can kill within minutes.
There is no charge to you for the gas servicing and safety check which is a quick and simple process.
What happens if I don’t allow a gas safety check and service?
It is your responsibility under the terms of your tenancy agreement for you to give us access to your home to carry out this work.
If our contractors can’t get access to your home for any reason we may serve you with a notice seeking possession for breaking these terms. Legal action may also need to be taken for us to gain access.
How do I make or change an appointment for a gas safety check and service?
Phoenix Gas Services, our Gas Safe Registered contractors, will write to you to let you know that your annual service and safety check is due to be carried out.
If you need to change your appointment, please call Phoenix Gas Services on 01782 564448 to arrange an alternative day.
You must make sure that you are at home to give the contractors access to carry out the servicing and safety check. At the end of the visit you will be given paperwork to confirm that your appliances are safe to use.
If you think you need a gas safety check and service and have not received an appointment from Phoenix, please call our customer services team on 0800 111 4554.
Who will carry out the gas check and service?
Phoenix Gas Services, our Gas Safe Registered contractors, will carry out this check and service. Following completion of the gas safety check and service you may be contacted by our partner Morgan Lambert, who undertake random quality control inspections on the tests that have been carried out.
What should I do if I smell gas?
- If you smell gas, call Cadent immediately on 0800 111 999
- Do not turn electrical switches on or off or do anything else that could create an electrical spark
- Do not smoke
- Do not use naked flames and put out any that are present
- Turn off your gas supply at the meter
- Open your doors and windows
- Keep people away from the area
To find out more information, please see Cadent’s website.
Gas safety tips
- Never attempt any DIY with gas
- Make sure you know where to find your gas meter and how to turn off the gas in an emergency
- Never block-up air ventilation points and ensure that the gas flue is kept clear at all times
- Never cover gas appliances
- Don’t use a gas appliance if you have any doubt that it is working properly
You can find out more about gas servicing and safety in our leaflet below.