Chat Live now!

Live Support

Have you tried our Frequently Asked Questions? See

Aids and Adaptations

A fixed alteration to your home such as a grab rail or a walk-in shower could help you or a member of your household live independently for longer.

Stafford and Rural Homes (SARH) Customers or anyone who lives with them on a permanent basis with a disability that prevents them from living an independent life, can request an aid or adaptation.

Apply for a minor adaptation

To apply for a minor adaptation such as a grab rail or secondary stair rail, or a small item of equipment such as a toilet riser seat, contact Social Services Centre on: Telephone: 0300 111 8010 Email: Social Services aim to contact you within 12 weeks. Please note: There is no need to complete a SARH self assessment form for a minor adaptation.

Apply for a major adaptation

To apply for a major adaptation such as a level access shower, stair lift or ramps you should: 1) Contact Staffordshire Cares and request a major adaptation assessment. This process can take up to 12 weeks. Telephone: 0300 111 8010. 2) Your request will be submitted to SARH for approval. You will be advised of the outcome of your application by SARH or Staffordshire Cares within 5 working days of SARH receiving the request. For further information about major adaptations please contact Staffordshire Cares, visit or call Stafford Borough Council on 01785 619000. If the adaptation is for a child, you can arrange for an assessment by contacting Children and Families Services at Staffordshire County Council on 0800 131 3126.

When are requests refused?

Requests may be refused for the following reasons:

    • If your home cannot be adapted:

– Not all houses, maisonettes or upstairs flats are considered to be suitable for major adaptations including wet rooms or level access showers, ramps or other adaptations which change the internal/external layout.

  • If the property is currently under occupied
  • If you have applied to buy your home

If your home cannot be adapted, SARH will support you to source alternative, more suitable accommodation which may already be adapted or suitable for the adaptations required to be made. Customers requiring adaptations and already living in adapted properties may apply for a transfer to another property. However, SARH may refuse to carry out adaptations in any successive property if no extenuating circumstances are evident, for example, if there is no medical need for the customer to move. This will be determined on a case by case basis by SARH. Adaptations to accommodate mobility scooters will only be made if an Occupational Therapist has assessed this as essential.

Who pays for the work?

The work to your home can be funded by: • Staffordshire County Council’s Social Care and Health Department. • A Stafford Borough Council (SBC) Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG). A DFG is awarded to you by your local authority to cover the cost of adaptations needed to your property as detailed by an occupational therapist. You will be assessed by SBC to determine whether you are eligible for a grant. If you are eligible they will advise how much you will be awarded and this will be decided through a financial means test. SBC will take into consideration your income and savings before deciding how much grant you may be entitled to.

Paying privately to install an aid or adaptation

You can pay privately to install an aid or adaptation with prior approval from SARH. Please contact us to request permission before starting any work and we will respond to your request within 15 working days. If permission is granted, we will require confirmation of when the work has been completed together with a safety certificate if electrical work has been carried out.

What if your needs change over time?

Please contact Staffordshire Cares at or telephone: 0300 111 8010.

Useful contacts

Age Concern 0800 00 99 66 DEAFvibe 020 7492 2725/6 Stafford Borough Council 01785 619 000 CLASP (Support for Carers) 0116 251 0999 Social Services 01785 223121 VISTA (Society for the Blind) 0116 249 0909