Chat Live now!

Live Support

Have you tried our Frequently Asked Questions? See

Anti Social Behaviour (ASB)

The safety and wellbeing of our customers is always our number one priority. We understand that anti social behaviour (ASB) can have a significant impact on people’s mental health and sense of security as well as harming the wider community. This is why we have a dedicated community safety team who work with our local neighbourhood officers to resolve any ASB issues as quickly as possible.

What is anti-social behaviour?

Anti-social behaviour (ASB) can cover a variety of issues ranging from minor neighbour disputes to serious criminal behaviour.  It is defined as behaviour that is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

The following are some of the most common examples:-

Environmental ASB

  • Condition of property that is causing a hazard to health
  • Littering/fly-tipping
  • Dog fouling
  • Graffiti

Personal ASB

  • Foul and abusive language
  • Threats of or actual violence
  • Threats of or actual criminal damage
  • Harassment
  • Persistent and unreasonable noise nuisance

Community ASB

  • Drug use/activity at or in the locality of a property
  • Loud music/shouting/regular parties from an address
  • Irresponsible or dangerous parking on land owned by us

Types of ASB

What is not classed as ASB?

Sometimes customers report problems with their neighbours which are not a nuisance according to the law. This limits our powers to be able to deal with the issues listed below, which are not considered to be ASB:

•    Differing lifestyles
•    Neighbours who work shifts, have young children or are elderly
•    Small amounts of littering on communal areas
•    Children playing ball games on communal greens
•    Domestic noise such as footsteps, talking dropping objects. vacuuming
•    One-off parties
•    People being rude or giving a ‘funny’ look
•    Cats roaming or fouling
•    Disputes on social media such as Facebook
•    Inconsiderate parking

Whilst these matters can sometimes cause stress, legally, everyone is entitled to go about their life creating normal amounts of noise without having to worry about how it affects others.
You may be offered mediation as a means to prevent further problems, or signposted to other agencies to see if they can assist.

How can I attempt to resolve the problem?

Attempting to resolve the problem with the person concerned is often the simplest and most effective solution.

Here are some tips:

  • Make a friendly visit to the person causing the problem to discuss the situation.
  • Try and settle the problem without ill-feeling.  Explain why you are complaining and that you would appreciate the co-operation in trying to sort out the matter.
  • Be prepared to compromise and reach an agreement you are both prepared to stick to.

Try not to:

  • Get drawn into an argument.
  • Approach them when you are angry – calm down first.
  • Speak to your neighbour in a loud or aggressive manner.

Please remember – everyone has the right to lead their chosen lifestyle within the privacy of their own home.  We will only take action where it is clear that this is interfering with the rights of others of the ‘quiet enjoyment’ of their home.

How can I report ASB?

You can report ASB using the online form below:

Report ASB form

You can also call: 0800 111 4554 or

Write to:
Stafford and Rural Homes, 1 Parker Court, Staffordshire Technology Park, Beaconside, Stafford ST18 0WP

We will respond to low risk reports of ASB within three working days. High risk cases involving threats of, or actual violence, criminal damage or hate crime we will respond to within one working day and develop an action plan with the customer within two working days of this contact.

You should also contact the Police if the ASB is of a criminal nature.

How do you deal with a report of ASB?

How can I report fly-tipping?

Who else can I report ASB to?

If you are the victim of ASB you can report it to any of the following organisations:

Stafford Borough council 01785 619000
Staffordshire Police Emergency 999  Non-emergency 101
Staffordshire Victim Gateway 03300 881 339
Citizens Advice 03444 111 444
Online @
Online @