Stafford and Rural Homes (SARH) recommends the My Home Contents Insurance scheme from Thistle.

It is important that your property is covered by insurance in the event of damage or loss to property, belongings or personal items. As contents insurance is not provided by SARH, you must apply for your own. All SARH tenants are eligible to apply for My Home Contents Insurance with Thistle Insurance Services. The My Home scheme is Made For Tenants and offers affordable insurance with the following benefits:

What it covers

My Home Contents Insurance covers: • theft, storm damage, water damage and fire damage • damage to internal decorations • accidental damage to sanitary fixtures such as toilets and washbasins • damage to external glazing for which you are responsible • fixed glass in furniture, doors and windows • lost or stolen keys and freezer contents Cover is provided on a new for old basis with no deduction for wear and tear – except in respect of linen and clothing.

No excess

There is no excess fee. This means you do not have to pay the first part of the claim.

No minimum security requirements

There are no minimum property security requirements with the My Home scheme, meaning you do not need to have special door or window locks fitted to be eligible.


Flexible, regular payment options are available. Pay fortnightly or monthly by cash at any post office or pay zone outlet, monthly by direct debit or annually by cheque, postal order, debit or credit card.

Easy application process

It is quick and easy to apply for cover for My Home Contents Insurance either through the post, over the telephone or electronically (using the editable application pack). You can all My Home on 0345 450 7288, or contact SARH for an application pack or complete the Thistle contact form.

Additional covers available

Additional covers can be added for a further cost, including: • Extended Accidental Damage cover • Personal Possessions away from the home • wheelchair and mobility scooter cover • hearing aid cover • structure cover for garages, greenhouses and garden huts.

Sums insured

Sums insured - the replacement cost of all your belongings - are offered in bands of £1,000, starting at £6,000 for tenants aged 60 and over and from £9,000 for all other tenants. The maximum sum insured available is £35,000.

The My Home Contents Insurance scheme does not cover your property against everything that can happen. Premiums, terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. These are contained within the free information pack. To get an information pack you can call Thistle Insurance on 0345 450 7288, contact us or complete a Thistle contact form online.


The National Housing Federation is an Appointed Representative of Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Lloyd’s Broker. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

Chat Live now!

Live Support

Have you tried our Frequently Asked Questions? See